The business was started in Lincoln in November 1959 by Eric A. Bird and his wife Giovanna. Eric had started out in the trade in Ipswich before joining the RAF as an instrument maker during World War 2. After the war Eric came back to the trade and worked in and around London, eventually owning two shops. In 1959 the time came to move away from London. In order to be closer to their family, Eric and Giovanna moved to Lincoln.
Eric bought a shop at Ashton’s Court on Lincoln High Street where he carried out trade repairs and began to sell a little stock. After a few years the business moved to No. 4, The Cornhill. As the business developed Mr. Bernard Ward was employed as a Watchmaker, working in a room above No. 4.
With continued growth of the business it became necessary to employ another pair of hands to work in the shop. In July 1973, Mr. Steve Thompson joined the business directly from school. In 1977 the expanding business demanded another change of premises; moving to its current location, No. 1, St. Mary’s Street.
In 1994 Eric decided that the time was right for him to retire and on June 1st 1994, after 21 years of dedicated service, Steve Thompson and his wife Maria bought the business from Eric. It was decided that the name and philosophy of the business would remain, providing quality and service to the people of Lincoln.
Since 1994 Steve and Maria have run the business together, building on the foundations laid by Eric and strengthening the business reputation as an honest and reliable independent Jeweller. They are very fortunate to have many loyal customers who have been trading with them for many years.
2009 was the business’s fiftieth year of trading in Lincoln.
Steve and Maria wish to thank all of the customers who have given their continued support and hope that those who discover Eric A. Bird Jewellers in the next few years will become future regular customers.